Why Choose the PEA?
The PEA is a union of and for professional employees. PEA bargaining units consist entirely or mostly of professionals — people whose work typically requires that they have earned at least one university degree.
Some of the jobs held by our members include River Forecasters, Climate Action Foresters, Teachers, Software Engineers, and Youth Librarians. We may be the perfect fit for you and your colleagues:
- The PEA is certified union under the BC Labour Relations Code. Employers have the same obligations to us as they do to their other unions.
- The PEA is built around the community of interest shared by professionals. In the PEA, professionals are not a minority interest group. The interests of professionals won't be neglected or traded away in the interest of the majority. The PEA has substantial resources: committed leadership, skilled and knowledgeable staff, first-rate legal support, excellent research capacity and excellent per-capita financial resources.
- The PEA is effective. Typically our contract settlements are strongly ratified by members. Provisions in our collective agreements are models for other professionals.
- The PEA constitution has no membership discipline provision. The PEA does not act against members who do not abide by its leaders' wishes. When the PEA executive wants members to pursue a certain action it provides them with opportunties to become engaged in the conversation.
- Our collective agreements contain clauses not found in standard union contracts. Some of the special features include accommodation of special professional obligations, reimbursement of professional fees, provision of professional liability insurance, entitlement to automatic cash-or-time compensation for voluntary overtime, and the right to have bargaining disputes settled by arbitration rather than strikes and lockouts.
- PEA union dues are low. At just one per cent of base pay. No dues are paid until the union successfully negotiates a first collective agreement.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (250) 385-8791, or 1-800-779-7736.